Friday, October 7, 2011

CE: Fat Tax?

Denmark has imposed the worlds first fat tax on it's country with intentions to prevent the intake of fatty foods and obesity. The tax affects foods such as milk and butter, to pizza and meat. Their plan is to increase the prices of anything eatable with fats an oils incorporated, to decrease the chances of weight gain & unhealthy diseases related to the intake of those foods, such as fast foods. Do you think this is an intelligent approach to the situation?

Do I understand where they're coming from? Yes I do. Do I think they've created this tax with good intentions? Yes I do. But do I think this plan will succeed? No I don't. To be honest, I don't think the low prices & easy access to the fatty foods is the problem. I think that if people just eat in moderation, consuming such foods wouldn't be such an issue. For example, I myself eat fast foods, such as french fries, pizza, and cakes. But I eat them in moderation, and if I wanted to purchase more, I don't think it'd be fair for me to pay more. In all actuality, I really doubt that raising the prices on these foods will change much. Sure, maybe some people will cut down on buying so much. But I'm almost positive that the majority of the population will still purchase those foods if that's what they really want. So do I believe this tax will stick around for countless years to come? I'm almost positive it won't. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment